SNAP Assistance

USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
SNAP Assistance Inquiry Form

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families, and provides economic benefits to communities.

Households who receive SNAP can use benefits to buy foods such as:

  • breads and cereals
  • fruits and vegetables
  • meats, fish and poultry
  • dairy products

To learn more about SNAP, please visit USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service.


You may qualify for SNAP if…

  • your income and other resources are under certain limits
  • you have a car, a house, and or some savings

Only U.S. citizens and certain lawfully-present non-citizens may receive SNAP benefits. Non-citizens who are eligible based on their immigration status must also meet other SNAP eligibility requirements such as income and resource limits.

If you are undocumented, and have children who are United States citizens, you can apply for SNAP on their behalf.


You’ll need when applying:

  • Identification (for everyone in the household)
  • Social security numbers (for everyone in the household)
  • Utility bills (gas, electric, oil, water, and telephone)
  • Rent receipt/agreement or mortgage statements and/or tax bill
  • Proof of income (for everyone in the household)
  • Medical expenses – ONLY if you are 60 and older and/or disabled
  • Child daycare expenses

To learn more about SNAP qualifications, please visit Your Texas Benefits.


When your application has been submitted, Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) has 30 days to make a determination about your SNAP application. They will contact you to conduct an interview.

If you are denied, you are always welcome to re-apply.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.  (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Right program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C., 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers; found online at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

NOTICE: SNAP Emergency Allotments Have Ended

(effective after February 2023)

At least $2.5 billion in monthly emergency SNAP food benefits expired nationwide, leaving millions of people facing a sudden financial cliff. The average enrolled family is hundreds of dollars short of what they need to buy groceries. Families with children lost an average of $223 in monthly SNAP benefits, and households with seniors lost an average of $168.

Montgomery County Food Bank and our network of more than 80 partners are here to help. If you are in need of food assistance, please visit to find a food pantry or mobile market near you.

You can also find help and resources by calling 2-1-1 or visiting