Organizing a Food and Fund Drive
How to Conduct a Food and Fund Drive for Montgomery County Food Bank
1. Register your food and fund drive! In just 5 minutes, you can register to host a food drive. Download the Food Drive Form! Upon completion of the form, email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then download the Food and Fund Drive Kit.
2. Brainstorm and Plan. Choose a theme and set a date(s). Single-day food drives can be very successful because the focus is on one particular day. Most food drives last about two weeks, leaving enough time for donors to remember their donations! Check out some of our Creative Ideas!
3. Set Goals for your food and fund drive. No donation is too small or too big! Figure out how much food and/or money you would like to collect, and then make it happen! Decide if you will accept just non-perishable food, monetary donations, or both. You should consider accepting monetary donations because for every $1 donated, we can provide 5 meals to our hungry neighbors.
4. Use our Most Needed Items list for Montgomery County Food Bank’s (MCFB) high priority needs. When possible, we are committed to providing food to our community that is high in fiber, low in sodium and low in sugar.
5. Create a Collection System. Often, the best way to collect food donations is to use small to medium-sized boxes that are easy to lift. Consider using boxes you have available at your house or office. We also have boxes available for pick up as well. Decorate your boxes to encourage others to donate or attach our downloadable Food and Fund Drive flyer.
6. Select a prime location for your food drive. High traffic areas where the collection bins are visible are best. Make sure there is plenty of space for your collection bins. Place a label or poster near the collection point so that donors know where to make their contribution!
7. Promote your food drive. Send your flyer to anyone and everyone. Spread the word! Let everyone know about the food drive. Don't forget to have fun and always tag us on social media so we can keep up with your progress!
Here are some ideas to better promote your food and fund drive:
a. Place posters in highly visible places
b. Decorate food collection boxes - be creative!
c. Send email blasts, repeatedly - don’t let anyone forget!
d. Social Media: Tweet about it, Blog about it, Send a Facebook invitation
e. Pass out flyers
f. Place announcements in newsletters
g. Share hunger facts and MCFB information
h. Create a competition
8. Send a progress report. Let the participants know how close you are to the goal! Frequent updates can serve as a motivator and a reminder!
9. Once the food and fund drive is over, donations can be accepted at the location listed below. Delivery to MCFB is a gift because it saves us critical resources. Our team at MCFB will be happy to weigh your donation to let you know the impact you have made for our community.
MCFB Warehouse Hours
1 Food for Life Way
Conroe TX, 77385
Mon-Thurs 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fri 8:00am - 4:00p
10. Thank your food and fund drive donors. Be sure to thank everyone who participated in your drive, share the impact you made and let them know how much their donations are appreciated by Montgomery County Food Bank and the people we serve.